Trade Names

Trade name registration - State of Connecticut

Partnerships and corporations must register their “trade names” with the State of Connecticut Secretary of State’s Office. Note, if you are a sole proprietor registration is not necessary to register with the Secretary of State, only with the City of New Haven. To register, contact:

The Office of the Secretary of State, Commercial Recordings
30 Trinity Street
Hartford, CT 06106
(860) 509-6002 or (860) 566-8570

Trade name registration - New Haven

State law requires all businesses to register their “Trade Name(s)” within the local Town Municipality where the business is registered to do business, and file a Personal Property Declaration Form at the Office of the Tax Assessor.

A “Trade Name” Certificate form requires a filing fee of $5.50 per document. If you have a name change, dissolve the business or relocate to another municipality, you must file another Trade Name Certificate. In New Haven, the place to file is:

City of New Haven
City/Town Clerk’s Office

200 Orange St, room 202
New Haven, CT 06510
(203) 946-8346


Tax Registration

Tax ID numbers

The Connecticut Department of Revenue offers tax ID numbers, but also taxpayer assistance for payroll and sales taxes. For assistance, contact:

Dept. of Revenue Services
3074 Whitney Ave
Hamden, CT 06518
(203) 287-8243

Employer ID numbers

All principals of a corporation are considered employees and should contact the Department of Labor to obtain an Employer ID Number (Form REG-1). All firms employing workers are subject to the State’s Unemployment Insurance Law and should register with the:

Connecticut Department of Labor
Employment Security Division
200 Folly Brook Blvd
Wethersfield, CT 06106
(860) 263-6000


Local Permitting

Depending on the nature of your business, City of New Haven permits can include the following departments:

  • Building Department
  • Health
  • Occupational
  • Signage
  • Alarm
  • Zoning


Other useful information for starting a business in New Haven

Check in with City Hall:

City Plan Office for zoning regulations (203-946-6378)

Health Department (203-946-6999)

Fire Marshal (203-946-6222)

Building Department (203-946-8045).

Do not hesitate to contact any of these departments or Retail  Sq. Ft. @ Town Green District (203.401.4245) with questions.


Employer Requirements

This section describes basic registration requirements for businesses with employees. If you are a new employer, check out Ten Steps to Hiring Your First Employee

Withholding Income Taxes

The IRS states that you must keep records of employment taxes for at least four years. Also, keep good records for your business to help you monitor the progress of your business, prepare your financial statements, identify source of receipts, keep track of deductible expenses, prepare your tax returns, and support items reported on tax returns.

Federal Income Tax Withholding (Form W-4)

Every employee must provide an employer with a signed withholding exemption certificate (Form W-4) on or before the date of employment. The employer must then submit Form W-4 to the IRS to ensure. For specific information on employer responsibilities regarding withholding of federal taxes, read the IRS' Employer's Tax Guide.

Federal Wage and Tax Statement (Form W-2)

On an annual basis, employers must report to the federal government wages paid and taxes withheld for each employee. This report is filed using Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Employers must complete a Form W-2 for each employee to whom they pay a salary, wage, or other compensation.

Employers must send Copy A of Forms W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) to the Social Security Administration (SSA) by the last day of February (or last day of March if you file electronically) to report the wages and taxes of your employees for the previous calendar year. In addition, employers should send copies of Form W-2 to their employees by January 31 of the year following the reporting period.

Visit the Social Security Administration's Employer W-2 Filing Instructions and Information for further guidance and assistance.

State Taxes

Visit the Connecticut Department of Revenue Service (DRS) for information on withholding state income taxes.

Employee Eligibility Verification (I-9 Form)

Employees hired after November 6, 1986 must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Federal law requires employers to verify an employee's eligibility to work in the United States. Within three days of hire employers must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form, commonly referred to as an I-9 form.

New Hire Reporting

All employers are required to report newly and re-hired employees to their state's Directory of New Hires within 20 days of their hire or re-hire data.

Insurance Requirements

Unemployment Insurance Tax

Businesses with employees are required to pay unemployment insurance taxes under certain conditions. If your business is required to pay these taxes, you must register your business with your state's workforce agency:

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Businesses with employees are required to carry Workers' Compensation Insurance coverage through a commercial carrier, on a self-insured basis, or through the state Workers' Compensation Insurance program.

For guidance on obtaining general business and liability insurance, visit the Business Insurance Guide

Workplace Poster Requirements

Employers are required by state and federal laws to prominently display certain posters in the workplace that inform employees of their rights and employer responsibilities under labor laws.

Federal Posters

The U.S. Department of Labor provides the following resources and tools to help employers obtain required posters:

State Posters

Obtain workplace posters required under state labor laws: